Blood Pressure / O2 Issues

2009-2011
 
Since the very first day when my symptoms began, I often have periods where I just don’t feel very well.  They come and go in waves and don’t usually last too long, however, I have never really understood why they are occurring.
 
When I was first symptomatic in 2009, and desperately trying to understand what was happening to me (because back then these episodes caused me to faint), one thing that I found helped was what I thought of as “amping” my adrenaline.  To do this, I would pace in an urgent manner as though I was late for something really important...and this, oddly enough, would allow me get through it as well as to not-faint.  Because the fainting, and horrible headaches that I would get whenever I laid down, completely went away upon the removal of my thyroid, I stopped looking into this.
 
One thought was that it could possibly be further endocrine issues, however, my cortisol and adrenaline levels were normal…so beyond that, my doctors and I really had no clue what could be causing these periodic episodes of exhaustion.  Despite seeing various endocrinologists throughout the years, none have been willing to do any further testing beyond the cortisol test which I had already had done.  As well, I did not know enough about it to know what tests I should have pushed for. 
 
Still, moments and waves of not feeling well would come whenever I became quiet, when I focused intently on anything, or even when I tried to relax (such as to meditate).  Beyond the fainting, that had taken from me the freedom and independence of driving, this took from me the ability to complete my seminars, to really focus on what people or even my doctors were saying, and even to meditate.  As my muscle began their horrible tightening, this also prevents me from relaxing them willfully.  Eventually, I noticed that during these times, when I was focusing very intently (probably because my brain wasn’t understanding very well and attempting to compensate), that I had inadvertently stopped breathing…and disconcertingly, was not getting any signal to breathe…no struggle, no signal that something was wrong, nothing...and if I did not purposefully act to counter this, I would faint.  In time I found ways to manually instruct my body to breathe and circumvent any issue, but this still made it impossible to pay attention or listen in at seminars.
 
Although the removal of my thyroid completely stopped the fainting, much to my surprise and joy, and I was able to drive again...and, for a time being, felt again like my old self, this was not to last.  Twenty-Thirty days after the removal of my thyroid, a new issue appeared (although we did not know it at the time it was due to my not converting the thyroid hormone properly)…I began randomly collapsing.  Thankfully, the saving grace in this was that I was mindless about it (meaning I had no thoughts during this time, like “maybe this is not ok” or “maybe I should tell someone or get help”), so I’d just lay there waiting for it to pass and waiting for enough energy to be able to get back up again.  At this point, it was clear that adrenaline had nothing to with it and attempts to raise my adrenaline no longer corrected it.  Thyroid function tests later revealed my RT3 levels at over 100 points, and then over 150 points too high.
 
That said, my blood pressure remained low (115/70), although high for me (normal 90/60), throughout all of this time…and I remained tired all the time, made worse by exertion, randomly becoming out of breathe, random times my heart would race, and no closer to understanding what was happening to my body.
 
 
2012
 
During the first half of 2012, because I was having such trouble converting the thyroid hormone and clearly getting sicker, my doctor began trying all of the various thyroid medications during which my RT3 levels continued to rise.  Previously, I had done 9 months on a T3 only regimen…however, because the pain started during this period (September 2011), I had mistakenly believed that it may have had something to do with being on T3 only.  In an effort to solve the mystery of *why* I could not process the regular T4 thyroid hormone well (and why I made so much RT3), and because I felt it might be better to be taking T4, I sought help in solving this medical puzzle at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota…which, sadly, was a complete waste of time/expense/effort.  The doctor even cited in his report that throughout the appointment I kept trying to bring the conversation back to the RT3/Thyroid Conversion issue (which was what I went there to see him for).  All he wanted to do was be upset with me for being on T3 only…as if somehow forcing a T4 (and his belief about how it should just magically work because that is what he had been told) would somehow make it work.  Anyways, after trialing the various T4’s with my primary, including a really great one called Tirosint (T4 with no fillers), it was clear that not only did I not make enough T3, but that I was continuing to make too much RT3…and again my levels rose to over 150 points too high…and again, I was very symptomatic and struggling.
 
Although I spent a significant part of 2012 largely bedridden, this was due (I believe), in hindsight, to pain and my utter exhaustion trying to cope with such high levels of pain. Eventually near the end of the year, someone suggested that I increase my thyroid hormone until I begin experiencing symptoms of too much hormone (which for me is heart palpatations), and as it seemed like a good idea at the time so I tried it.  When I reached double the dose, two interesting things happened: one, my pain levels returned to their original levels (8-9 on the scale of 1-10) which although are high, were at least bearable…and two, I stopped sleeping all the time. Although, I continued to feel not-well and continued to experience the same waves of just, in general, feeling extra poorly.
 
To this day I have no reason or cause for why I experience this.  One small clue, though likely unrelated to anything, is that there is a spot on my mid back…that when I lay on my back and this is touching the table…or when people press on it, I will also not feel well in the same way…and my condition rapidly declines.  Indeed, this is the spot right about where my muscle in my back randomly contracts pulling my shoulder blade about…on the right side.  Although, not lightheaded, but very much like it…and although not like passing out, very much like if I continue in that position that I will lose consciousness.  People have noted that I get very pale and become clammy, but that my heart rate strangely does not go up (as it would if it were anxiety), in fact it gets or stays slow.  Again, just more mystery…although it could be from pain as my back is mostly numb and so there could be a high level of pain that I am unaware of on that point…other than that, your guess is as good as mine.
 
 
2013
 
The other day, inspired by a friend who has been checking his and posting photos, I purchased an oxygen reader and blood pressure taker and discovered what may be behind some of what I am experiencing.
 
Here is a video of my oximeter reading at rest:

 
Although, at rest, everything seems ok, it is interesting to note that my oxygen levels continue to drop.  Even though it does not drop to a clinically treated level, I am not oxygenating as well as I should be.
 
  
Here is a video of my oximeter reading while standing:
 
 
Standing, it is interesting to note that my heart rate significantly elevates even though I had been laying down and resting just seconds before.  At one point, I was experiencing the muscle tightness/contraction in my arm just above my elbow...it was enough to disable the oximeter.  In addition, I was feeling poorly standing there and it is interesting to note that commiserate to how I was feeling that my oxygen levels were low.  Again, although it remains in the 90's and does not drop to clinical levels...is still clear that I am not oxygenating as well as I should be.
 
 
Here is a video of my oximeter reading while sitting:
 
 
Not feeling very well from standing, I sat down and thought to check my levels again because I still wasn’t feeling very well.  Interesting to note that my oxygen saturation is now at clinical levels AND that my heart is not, for whatever reason, increasing to try to oxygenate better like it does when I stand.  My muscle tightening/contractions continue to periodically disable the oximeter.  It is now clear that I am struggling to oxygenate well and it is likely that this is what is behind why I periodically just don't feel very well sometimes.
 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 
Despite my blood pressure being consistently low (which doctor’s seem to think is a good thing even if it may in fact be contributing to my feeling so poorly or the fatigue), and despite one really strange reading at my chiropractor’s office in January, 2013 of 104/97 (which everyone seems to be ignoring as a fluke), my blood pressure seems to me to be all over the place depending on what I am doing.
 
Note: we did take the blood pressure monitor to the doctors office and verified with three readings that it is giving very similar results to the one in the office, so I am inclined to trust the general accuracy of this meter. 
 
  
To see if there was a difference between my blood pressure laying down and/or when I was upright, I took these two readings within a minute of each other or less.  Note, that I had been laying down for some time, then sat up and immediately took the next reading.  While typical orthostatic intolerance is where one’s blood pressure drops when they get up…mine is clearly doing the opposite of that.
 
 
Next, I thought that, like the oximeter, that there may be some value in checking readings over time.  These two were taken within five minutes of each other, starting at least ten minutes after laying down.  I would have taken more pictures, but I really wasn't feeling well and went to sleep. 
 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment